1.22.2010

what he talks about when he talks about running.

During my morning run, my thoughts kept drifting back to words shared by novelist Haruki Murakami in his memoir about running and writing What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.  In the predawn darkness and accompanied only by the thump and whir of morning commuters, Murakami's gentle words were a welcome running partner:

"As I run I tell myself to think of a river.  And clouds.  But essentially I'm not thinking of a thing.  All I do is keep on running in my own cozy, homemade void, my own nostalgic silence. And this is a pretty wonderful thing.  No matter what anybody else says."

In a predawn darkness Murakami's gentle words erased the ugly distraction of the headlights and revvings of morning commuters.  Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment